One of the options that convert the best is the popup. However, you should construct your website popups following best practices if you want to achieve the best outcome. These procedures distinguish eye-catching, high-converting popups from intrusive ones. In this article, you will discover the greatest popup techniques.
1. Consider your audience needs
Popups on websites that have been specifically created for visitors' comfort and engagement work best. This indicates that they are worthwhile, non-intrusive, interesting and beneficial to your potential customers. According to the e-commerce study, discounts and coupons (39.6%), free delivery (51%), and customer reviews (31.8%) are the top three factors that influence consumers to complete a transaction.
2. Define clear goals
Setting clear goals is essential because they serve as a standard for measuring the effectiveness of your initiatives. This objective, which is based on your company's requirements, assists in your assessment of the campaign's effectiveness. For popup campaigns, typical objectives include:
- Increase sales;
- Drive traffic to specific website pages;
- Recover abandoned shopping carts;
- Spread awareness of sales and special offers;
- Increase participation in the loyalty program;
- Convert returning visitors.
Let's look at the illustration: Creating leads is what you want to do. During your study you discovered that offering a discount increases the likelihood that new customers would convert. In this situation, popup advertising may provide a discount in return for email addresses. Here, the best practice for popups would be to provide an email subscription to get a discount.
3. Choose the best popup format
To get results, you have to carefully consider how your popup advertising is presented. This is because each form of popup has benefits and drawbacks and affects the user experience in a unique way. The most common types of popups are as follows:
- Website bars — great for sharing announcements;
- Mobile popups — best shown to mobile visitors;
- Spin-to-win (wheel popups) — designed for contests and giveaways;
- Embeds are best if you want to add popups to your website’s content;
- Full- and middle-of-the-screen popups are great for getting the full attention of visitors;
You can build any of these types with Claspo Pop-ups.
4. Create user-friendly popups
According to this best practice for popups, you have to present the relevant popups to the right people at the appropriate time. In this situation the targeting choices are used once again. Businesses use them to display popups to certain visitor groups and put them on particular websites.
- Location. For local marketing, you can target or block visitors from a certain nation, territory, or city;
- A cart value. You can make a popup with a free shipping offer if a visitor's cart value is under $100 to entice them to meet the minimum;
- Visitors who are new or returning. Popups can "recognize" whether a visitor is new or recurring and provide a customized campaign to them, such as a discount for visitors;
- The customer is about to leave after adding an item to their cart. This cart abandonment popup is intended to remind and/or entice consumers to complete the transaction;
- A visitor looks at the sold-out item. You might offer to notify this visitor when the item becomes available once again.
5. Make the popup match your website design
A superb popup minimizes the impression that the popup is an intrusive ad as it seems to be a natural extension of the website. Following the best practice recommendations for popups is crucial for this reason.
These popup best practices include:
- Use your website colors;
- Write popup text in your brand tone of voice;
- Employ fonts allowed by your branding guidelines.
When combined, these straightforward techniques produce outstanding popups that seem and feel completely integrated into your website.
6. Make popup CTAs stand out
For conversions to occur, the call-to-action (CTA) button is essential. You have the most chance of succeeding in this aim with a strong and obvious CTA, so getting it properly is essential.
Popup best practices for CTAs include:
- Use a contrasting color;
- Write action-driven text;
- Use first-person language;
- Mention the benefit for customers.
These strategies give viewers a sense of control, which may be particularly advantageous for email advertisements that request personal information.
7. Write short & sweet copy
Your popup advertising can significantly benefit from compelling copy. The good news is that writing compelling content doesn't need exceptional copywriting skills. One option is to adhere to the following copywriting guidelines for popups:
- Be concise and clear;
- Focus on the benefits for the customers;
- Write in simple, conversational language;
- Use your brand’s voice and personality where appropriate.
8. Make popups valuable
Your popup has to benefit the visitors if you want to increase conversions without degrading the user experience. The value may be expressed as:
- Free shipping;
- Quality content;
- Loyalty program invitation;
- Quick access to pages with sales.
The value is a need, but how you convey it to visitors is equally crucial. As online buyers are used to seeing marketing popups from businesses, how you express the value in your ads might make them stand out.
9. Use original visuals
As a general rule in marketing, stock photographs damage credibility, thus we must utilize unique material. The same rule applies to popup campaigns: original images increase the authenticity and distinctiveness of your brand.
10. Make popups mobile-friendly
To increase your conversion rate with this group of visitors, your popup advertising should look fantastic on mobile devices. Following a few mobile popup best practices can help you create mobile popups that convert and adhere to Google's rules.
Popups are useful in helping companies improve their marketing and sales outcomes. They do a lot more than that, such as create leads, spread the word about promotions, and direct traffic to landing sites. You'll achieve the best outcomes by adhering to these popup best practices. Try implementing the advice from this manual in your subsequent campaign to see how you may enhance the UX and accomplish your objectives.